Friday, February 17, 2012

Gluten Free Tortilla Discovery!

Today I had fully intended to share a delicious cinnamon muffin recipe, but then I went grocery shopping at Hannaford. And while I am not sharing anything I have tweaked, I certainly made a discovery for those tweaking their diets. I just ate one of the best store bought gluten free things I’ve ever had. Not only is it gluten free, it’s corn free (except for possibly some minute trace of corn in the xanthan gum), it’s soy free, it’s potato free and it’s vegan. And it doesn’t taste like cardboard!
Food for Life® (They are the Ezekiel Bread/Cereal people.) is now making a brown rice tortilla. I had never seen it before so maybe it’s new or maybe I’ve just missed it but thought I’d give it a try. I’ve been trying to come up with my own tortilla but have yet to find a combination I love. So, I figured worst case scenario…I’m out $3.69.
When I got home I let the tortillas thaw (they were in the natural section of frozen foods) and pulled one out and warmed it on the stove top over an open flame. Well, I was in a state of shock after the first bite. I fully expected it to be fine but not yummy. Texture wise it is not as supple as a wheat flour tortilla. It definitely has more “chew” but kind of in a good way. The flavor and texture reminded me very strongly of a fine artisan French baguette or bole bread. For those of you with fond memories of bread……you know how those loaves would have a crisp outer crust covered in tiny, superficial crunchy bubbles and the crust and bread together would have this well bronzed flavor and this “chew”. Mmmmmmm. So, for someone like me who hasn’t had bread in 2 years, I was in heaven. And frankly, I could care less if I ever make them into a burrito or sandwich (Oooo, a sandwich!). I am happy just eating them plain right out of the bag.
Mine did crack some while I was eating it…but if it had been filled with rice and beans, etc. that moisture may have prevented some of the brittleness.
(5 minute break…..be right back… need another tortilla)
Okay, so I had to add some sort of tweak as I eat my second tortilla (plain). To warm the 2nd one I quickly ran both sides under tap water and patted dry with a towel. Then over the open flame on my gas stove I heated the tortilla flipping 3 or 4 times at about 3 second intervals and Ta-Da!!!, no more brittle tortilla….still chewy though……still is a good way. The water on the outside is essentially steaming the tortilla. You could also use a very warm pan on the stove top too, but the tortilla will need a bit more time to warm. You could also try warming them either over a pot of boiling water with a cooling rack on top or by placing them in a slightly dampened tea towel and then wrapping them in foil to warm in the oven.
Sorry for no recipe today, but I HAD to share this with you. I hope find them as good I do.
Coming soon......Cinnamon Muffins!!!!

2 comments: