Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Crazy Tweaked Chocolate Chip Cookies for Everyone!!! (Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Oil/Margerine Free, Nut/Seed Free and Flaxseed Free)

Wa-Hooooooooo! I just invented the craziest chocolate chip cookie. “Invented a chocolate chip cookie?”, you may ask, “Hasn’t someone already done that?”. Nope, not like this. I am so jazzed I can hardly stand it. Here is how everything started:
A few days ago my sister issued me a challenge. She said, “I need a chocolate chip cookie that doesn’t have any oil/margarine or nuts or nut/seed butters in it, and no flax seed, and vegan, and gluten free. So, if you could work on that….that would be great.” Seriously? You want a Vegan, Gluten Free,  Soy free (That’s for me, might as well throw that in too!), oil/margarine free, Nut/Seed free, and flaxseed free. Luckily she didn’t say sugar free or I’ve got nothin’. I thought, “If I could actually make this recipe nearly everyone could eat it.”
 Hmmmm. My brain started churning. It seemed like you would need some sort of fat. I started thinking maybe avocado. Yes, I’ll run with that at see what happens. So, I started my concoction and other than the fact that the color was a bit weird they seem pretty good. I thought I had won. Nope. Then they cooled. They became dense and pasty. Everything you want in a cookie, right? Chalk up a loss.
I was haunted by my need to conquer this challenge. I hit the drawing board again today. Forget the avocado. I’ll do straight up liquids and dry ingredients and see what happens. I upped the sugar a bit, increased the liquid (rice milk), added some salt and baking powder (the first version only had baking soda) and increased the starch.  As they were baking they LOOKED like chocolate chip cookies. When I took them out they smelled and tasted like chocolate chip cookies. Could it be? Oh my God, I DID IT!!!!!! I am a creative problem solver by nature so this was sooooo excited to me. I hope I can sleep tonight……Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oooo, another variation would be to omit the chocolate chips and add about a teaspoon (more if you like) of cinnamon and make them like a Snickerdoodle cookie. Mmmmmm.


Crazy Tweaked Chocolate Chip Cookies for Everyone  - Vegan (no dairy, no egg, no honey), Gluten Free, Soy Free, Oil/Margerine Free, Nut/Seed Free and Flaxseed Free

3/4 c. sorghum flour                                             
3/4 c. white or brown rice flour
1/4 c. potato or arrowroot starch
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. rice milk (or other dairy free milk)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips (like Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or dairy and soy free like Enjoy Life brand semi-sweet chocolate chips)
_________
In a mixer mix the sugars and the rice milk and vanilla. In a separate bowl stir all the other dry ingredients together using a wisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. The batter/dough will be a little looser than traditional chocolate chip cookie dough. It should slowly lose its form when scooped. If it is too stiff add an additional 1-2 TBS of rice milk. Stir in chocolate chips.
Spoon by rounded tablespoons onto the cookie sheet. Make sure you use parchment paper for these cookies because without any fat in the dough they will stick to a plan cookie sheet. You could use a SILPAT silicon baking pad, but I found that the paper worked better.
Bake at 375 F for 12-14 minutes. As long as they are not burning…. cooking slightly longer vs. shorter will yield better results. Cool slightly on the pan then move to cooling rack. Eat.
*Allow to cool very well before placing in airtight container.

4 comments:

  1. I made them tonight! SO good! I ate them for supper. Actually, I ate too many and ruined my supper, so I ate a big bowl of broccoli to make it OK. :) Mike came home, bit into one, and said, all casual, "Oh hey. She did it."

    Bowing down in humble recognition and gratitude...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHA! I knew there was brown rice flour in there.. delish. Thanks for sharing!

    I took pics as I was nomming on that one you sent home with the Spousal unit.. I will be blogging it.. glad you posted the recipe as I will be sending my (meager) readership over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for passing it on too. Very nice of you. I'm sure you'll get samples of future recipes from time to time!

      Delete