Friday, February 24, 2012

Cinnamon Muffins with Crunchy Topping (traditional, gluten free, and vegan options)
I came up this recipe while vacationing with my family on Sebago Lake in Maine. We were staying at a friend’s beautiful lake home that they so graciously let us use. The house had a full kitchen and many basic supplies. We had gone to the store to pick up our groceries for meals and my flour supplies for any random pancakes or such that needed to be made. One morning, another “I need a muffin” morning, I wanted to make muffins but realized that I didn’t have any of my normal muffin ingredients with me...no cocoa....no blueberries….no lemons…no chocolate chips. BUT… I did find cinnamon in the house. So my tweaked gluten free cinnamon muffins were born.
These muffins have become a favorite for me. I love them because they are delicious, and I love them because I always have the ingredients I need to make them. (Who doesn’t always have cinnamon lying around?)  They taste like coffee cake and could easily be made in a 9 inch round pan or a 9 inch(ish) spring form pan rather than muffin tins if you prefer. The baking time would likely be about 35-40 min if you choose to do this, oh, and grease the pan.
The crunchy streusel style topping really throws these muffins over the top. And the recipe for the topping below actually makes twice as much as you need…but rather than adjusting the recipe I keep making the extra and just store it in the fridge in a zippered plastic bag. That way I’m ready for round two of cinnamon muffins in a week or so, and the topping is already done. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Cinnamon Muffins with Crunchy Topping (traditional, gluten free and vegan options)

Muffins
2 ¼ c. flour mixture of choice (I use 1 1/8 c. brown rice flour and 1 1/8 c. sorghum flour                            tweak  for traditional : use white or whole wheat flour)
1 1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon (can use more or less to taste)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp salt
1 c. rice milk product of choice or other dairy free milk (tweak for traditional: use cow’s milk)
2 eggs beaten (tweak for vegan:  use vegan egg replacer or use 2 TBS ground flaxseed plus 5 TBS water wisked together)
½ c. oil ( I like grapeseed)
½ tsp vanilla

Topping (vegan or traditional)
2 TBS softened butter (Tweak for vegan: use regular or soy free non-hydrogenated margarine)
¼ c. brown sugar (packed)
¼ c. brown rice flour (Tweak: for traditional use white or whole wheat flour)

Prepare topping first. Smash ingredients together with a fork until fine crumbles form. Set aside if fridge. Fluff with fork as needed before adding to muffins.
Combine all dry ingredients. Stir with wisk to combine. Combine wet ingredients and wisk together. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and fold together until combined. Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin tins. Top with previously prepared crunchy topping.

Bake 375 F for 20-22 minutes until muffins feel spongy and spring back. Cool in tins for 5-10 minutes then remove if desired.

6 comments:

  1. These photos really make me want muffins for supper. MMmmmuffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a snow day for me Yippee No work! What to do on a snow day but to make muffins! Sooo……..Get on my favorite blog to make some more Yummy lemon muffins, and long behold what do I see ………..Another Yummy muffin recipe and a cookie one too. Set out to make the muffins and woe’s me not enough cinnamon, and almond milk. That didn’t stop me… dressed up nice and warm brought my backpack, and set out on foot to the town store to buy the ingredients I needed. Now I am sitting in my comfy chair with a book and a hot cup a tea, smelling the aroma, and anticipating my muffin, and wondering if I should feel guilty for having two or Will my short walk out in the cold with the fresh air take away all the bad calories. Keep up the great work Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Sounds like the perfect day to me. I hope the muffins were yummy. And definitely, the walk surely gets you a few extra guilt-free muffins! It sounds like I know you. Care to give me a 1st name?

      Delete
    2. It's your old neighborly friend Beth. :) For some reason the blog doesn't like my yahoo I.d. :) My next baking project will be your cookies. So a little challenge here or two? Do you have a pie crust available, and how about a cheese cake recipie.

      Delete
    3. Hi Beth. Nice to hear from you! Hope you enjoy to cookies! My next post will be a chocolate chocolate chip version of the same cookie. Soooo YUM!!! Yes I do have a pie crust that I like to make. I need to get that out. As far as cheesecake, do you mean an alternative to Dairy cheesecake? That I do not have but can look for one. I can't eat soy and that is usually the main ingredient in dairy free cheesecake, so I haven't played with it at all. Happy baking!!

      Delete